Please read the text below, and click,
to the right, to view the reference materials:
Prior to 1942, the area in east Savannah was undeveloped; that is to say,
there were no houses, churches, or schools, and no small businesses.
The initiative to create Pine Gardens began in May 1941, when Savannah
Shipyards, Inc. (SSI) purchased most of the land for the purpose of
housing for its employees.
|Click here to see the May 7, 1941 "Savannah Morning News" item on
|In the next few months, SSI facilitated the creation of a private group, Pine
Gardens, Inc. (PGI) In August 1942, a judge in Savannah's Superior
Court granted the charter requested by PGI, making it an officially-recognized
||Click here to see the August 11, 1942 "Savannah Morning News" item
|A few weeks later, the Chatham County Commission approved the
subdivision. The news article noted that no home would cost less than $
||Click here to see the August 29, 1942 "Savannah Morning News" item
|A few weeks later, Pine Gardens, Inc. purchased the land, presumably from
Southeastern Shipyards, Inc., upon which the homes would be constructed.
Te news article stated that construction of the initial 100 homes would begin
immediately. It further noted that a total of 400 homes would be built.
||Click here to see the
September 20, 1942 "Savannah Morning News" item
|Construction of the earlier Pine Gardens homes began shortly
thereafter. Initial construction concentrated in the 2100 blocks of
Liberty, Greenwood and Forest Streets.
Pine Gardens, Inc. maintained an office in Pine Gardens beginning in
1942, and continuing until approximately 1950. During nearly all of
those years, the Savannah telephone directory placed the office at 2004
Greenwood Street, and with a telephone number of: 2-9603. In the
1951 phone book, there is no listing. We believe this means all of
the lots had been sold, thus no further need for an office.
|Eli Whitney Elementary School was built to serve the growing
populations of Pine Gardens and other nearby neighborhoods. It
opened for business in September 1953, and served children until June
2003. Though the building ceased to be a school for children, it remains the
"Eli Whitney Administrative Complex" and serves other purposes
for the Chatham County Board of Education.
A vibrant alumni association exists for former students, faculty and
staff of Eli Whitney school. An excellent reunion was held on May
24, 2003 to celebrate the completion of 50 excellent school years.
|Click here for a
link to the Eli Whitney Elementary School Alumni Association.
|Riverside Baptist Church, which is in Pine Gardens near Eli
Whitney School, was established to serve the growing populations of Pine
Gardens and neighboring communities. Established on September 14,
1953, it serves a strong congregation today. A 50th Anniversary was
celebrated in 2003.
|Pine Gardens NEWS! Thanks in part, we think, to this
initiative to add Pine Gardens to the National Register of Historic
Districts, Savannah's "Savannah College of Arts and
Design" has added Pine Gardens to one of its regular tours of
important Savannah areas. Click to the right for details
"SCAD" Savannah tours, including the Pine Gardens Neighborhood.
|Page last updated: 12/01/2012 11:58 AM
Please contact this web site's proprietor, below, with any comments, corrections,
thoughts, or questions.
To contact this site's Proprietor:
Charles Varner - 663 William
Hilton Parkway - Unit 1107 - Hilton Head Island,
Phone: (843) 785-9680